Saturday, May 16, 2009

Cows Tongue...and Our Tongue



I've been thinking...  our choices in lingual expression are crucial and can be harmful.  Take this for example;Add Image

As a Christian, I feel as though the term "holy",  should be used with great caution and deep consideration of what is truly encapsulated in the term, "holy".  Take the word "Holy" with a capital "H" when it is used for the Complete One, God.  If I, a Christian, misuse this term, than it abases the meaning of the word.  When we say that a cow is holy, it degrades the meaning of the previous word, because a cow is NOT PERFECT IN EVERY WAY, as God is flawless.  Cows grunt and are dumb and chew the cud all day! (I do like cows... both in a pasture and on my plate.  Don't get me wrong.)  Thus said, if I want to truly adhere the meaning to the word "holy" to the usage of God or "to be consecrated for God", then I have to have a reverence for the word and will set it apart for that usage alone and hopefully think about what it means when I praise our Heavenly Father, the Creator of the Universe or talk about Christians being set apart for God alone.  

So, what can you do?  Ponder the word "Holy" and if you are a Christian: don't even consider using the lower case version of the word.  Respect and awe over it:)

1 comment:

  1. this blog is all too true! i am reading Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul and it definitely says what you have so articulately stated. i highly reccomend it if your interested. thanks for the reminder to watch our tongues and to respect the Holy nature of our Perfect creator!

    ReplyDelete