Sunday, August 30, 2009

If you wanted pictures that's not what you'll get... this time.

Lately I have been pondering more things than usual... not that I have much time to ponder while chasing my little character around the house... or the chicken manure in the backyard (notice I said "around the manure"? Boy do chickens defecate!).   Pondering is good, right?   Well here we go:  I love to worship our Lord, but sometimes things get in the way.  You know what can ruin a song and a heart that longs to worship?  Poor lyrics.  There are quite a few songs that adequately and abundantly bring glory to the throne.  Sad to say that there are so many songs used on Christian radio or in worship services these days that bring little to no honor to God, but only bring attention to ones self, or just get theology way off.   What to do?  Do I sing, to be courteous?  Ha ha... courteous to the King of Kings who only cares about the overflow of my heart...no, no, no... my guess is that he wants me to truly speak out in any appropriate way I can to try and change the mind set of other Christians.  Here I am.  
Fellow Christian, 
        Do you think about every lyric that you sing?  Probably not.  The more I am actually focusing on the lyrics the more I have to remain silent it seems these days and lament.  God does not want filler, it dishonors Him and causes us to have a lower view of Him because of the crud that we serve Him.  Please brothers and sisters in Christ, give Him what He is due, all adoration and thanksgiving until the end of this age.  I have so much more to learn.  What truly honors God?  Take time to ponder, take time to reflect and don't stand for mediocrity.  That's just what we need a whole bunch of Christians who don't know what they stand for or why, but just want to be relevant.  The Church is supposed to look different, and be different!
What to look out for:  more Is and Mes, instead of Yous and Yours.  And anything that repeats anything so many times that you forgot what you were singing, but get lost in the harmony.  Just please, please think for yourself and think about what you say and do... speaking of which I will hopefully do better... still in process though.  Alright.  Just know that anything said tonight, is said out of love.  Out of love for a body of believers to see clearer so that together we may excellently glorify our Lord and Savior.  Praise be to Him forever and ever!
~Carolyn

2 comments:

  1. Instead of singing poor lyrics you should just make up your own while you sing along to the tune...it could be quite entertaining to both you and God, I think he might appreciate it and get a little kick out of it as well.:) Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, sister! I have been wanting to write a piece on worship music for a while now. Thank you for writing this. I hope that someday soon I will make time to write too. I really think the church (in particular) should take time to really evaluate the songs we sing.
    With that said:
    I think that Amber makes a good suggestion, however, I also think that if we disagree with something our church is singing, it possibly should be brought up to the pastoral staff. I have yet to do that though.

    ReplyDelete